Monday, June 22, 2009

An Apple A Day

By LifeAdviceSite.com
I love apples.

I can't even express how much I love apples. They come in so many shapes, sizes and varieties! There are red ones, pink ones, green and yellow ones. They are crunchy, sweet and all around delicious.

I remember hearing that saying when I was young, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." As a grown-up, I could easily eat an apple a day (or more) because they're tasty, portable and widely available in so many more varieties nowadays. Their reflective skin and perfect round curves mesmerize me as if gazing at a fine ruby or green tanzanite...

I've always known they're good for me and provide important elements such as fiber for normal cholesterol, but now I find there's even more research out that apples are incredibly good for you. Apples contain both insoluble fiber, which aids in removing LDL cholesterol from the digestive tract and a soluble fiber called pectin, which can reduce the amount of LDL cholesterol in the liver. Flavonoids, a type of pigment contained in apples which lend them their color, have been researched and found to help prevent heart disease and certain types of cancer. Certain research has linked apple consumption with reduced risk of alzheimer's disease later in life. Plus, apples have natural sunscreen protection built in! They produce it to protect their skin from the sun, and when we eat them we get it too. Very cool. That's not even to mention all the antioxidants they pack inside their crunchy flesh.

Wow!

I'm going to go grab an apple - see you later!

www.lifeadvicesite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment