Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The High Cost of Health

By LifeAdviceSite.com

We all know how important it is to eat right. Despite cravings and succumbing to the occasional dietary pitfall, we all want to eat right and we all try our best to incorporate fruits, vegetables and whole grains in our diet. At least I know I always have.

There's one major problem I've often encountered which seems to be ignored by dieters, doctors and government officials alike.


It's expensive to eat healthy!

That's right, I said it. And it's about time we took notice. For years, I've been faced with a quandary. In staring up at the fast food menu in dismay, I note sadly how I could order a hamburger and small french fries for around $2.00 while opting to be healthy and ordering a garden salad will knock me out for roughly $5.00

I'm frugal; I always have been and always will be. I don't eat out much because of the high cost, but I often think of those who have little choice because of time constraints or traveling situations. I also grimace when I'm shopping for healthy foods in the grocery store and see how I could choose to buy one lonely avocado or an entire box of pasta for the same $1.25. It's easy to understand why we are faced with such an epidemic of obesity and poor health. For some, it's just not possible to eat as well.

It's just not right. In fact, it's downright tragic. We know it requires more energy and time to get fresh fruits and vegetables to grocery stores across the country before they wilt, but shouldn't there be a better way? Maybe we could shift some of those corn and grain subsidiaries to start more local farms so the food travels a shorter distance. Or maybe we could lower the price of fuel so it would cost less to move those foods. We could serve more fruits and vegetables in school, and have gardening projects instated as part of the curriculum. Perhaps we could set up funding for local community gardening space in every neighborhood, or offer government grants to everyone who wants to build their own greenhouse to grow fresh fruits and vegetables.

Any other ideas?


More information about natural foods can be found in the Food List at www.lifeadvicesite.com

1 comment:

  1. Great article! It's a shame how healthy foods often cost more than fatty foods.

    I came across this blog post when I was reading through the Health Fitness How To Carnival. I found it to be a great read!

    I recently created a post in my blog, Salad Sticks, on interesting articles found in last week’s carnival and have the post linking back to this page.
    http://www.saladsticks.com/2009/07/blog-carnival-7192009.html

    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete